PodHawk has everything you need for a successful podcasting website :
- a validated podcasting RSS feed, which your listeners can use to subscribe to your podcasts in iTunes or any other podcatcher.
webpages built with the Smarty templating engine. Smarty has many advantages including :
- you can edit your web-page templates or even design a complete new theme without altering any of the underlying PHP code. PodHawk contains a library of common template components which you can use.
- Smarty uses powerful conditional ("if...") and looping ("foreach...") tags to make complex page presentations easy to programme.
- Smarty can cache your web pages and RSS feed. This means faster downloads and less work for your server.
- a range of Flash player designs for your web pages including the classic LoudBlog players, all the EMFF players, and a player from 1 Pixel Out.
- support for the JW Player which plays mp3 audio and flv and mp4 videos, playlists, YouTube videos and streaming video. PodHawk supports the latest version of the JW player, which displays in HTML5 on devices which do not support Flash (eg iPads and iPhones)
- audio and video players are configurable from your backend (admin) pages.
- facility for your listeners to leave comments, including - if you wish - audio comments.
- choice of the classic LoudBlog antispam feature; the sophisticated Akismet anti-spam service, which is widely used on WordPress blogs; or the Disqus commenting system.
- counting of downloads from the website and from the RSS feed. (Note : you must be able to place a .htaccess file in the root directory of your PodHawk site in order to count downloads from the feed, and downloads of most video files).
- audio and video files can be uploaded using a Flash uploader in your backend admin pages, or using your favourite FTP client.
- an image manager which will upload images to your site, allow you to resize or rename them, and will even write the html needed to place them on your web page,
- A choice of Textile or the Tiny MCE text editor, or PodHawk's own Very Simple Editor, to make writing your posts as simple as possible.
- facility for tagging and categorising your posts
- Facebook plugin enables features including Open Graph tags, 'Like' buttons, Facebook application pages and page tabs
- Ping plugin to notify major weblog services when you put a new post on air, send a Tweet to Twitter and bookmark your post on Delicious
- other plugins for PDF support, support for Ogg audio and video, RSS Feed Reader etc
- an Apache webserver. For download counting from the feed, mod_rewrite needs to be loaded, and your Apache configuration needs to support .htaccess files. (Ask your web host or server administrator about this).
- Podhawk 1.6 and later versions requires php 5 or later. (If your server has php 4.3 or later, you can install PodHawk 1.53). PodHawk will work best if PHP has the PDO, GD and cURL extensions.
- a database - either MySQL, SQLite or Postgres8.